Absentee Ballots- Look Out for New Design!
The blue and white outer envelope is the one you will see in the mailbox or pick up at City Hall. You will use the green and white inner envelope to return your absentee ballot. Make sure to sign the back of the green and white inner envelope in the designated space when returning your ballot.
Absentee Voting Requirements
For every election, the City Clerk must make available Absentee Ballots. To qualify for an Absentee Ballot, you must be a registered voter and submit a signed written request or absentee ballot application.
Applying for an Absentee Ballot
- Please visit the following link to the Secretary of State website to download an absentee ballot application: SOS - Absentee Voting
- Applications to have a ballot mailed to you must be received by 5:00 pm on the Friday before the election.
- Absentee Ballots can be issued on the day prior to the election until 4:00 pm, but the elector must request the ballot in person at City Hall on that day, and cannot leave the building with the ballot. Photo identification will be required to receive the ballot in person.
- If you are not registered to vote as of election day, you may also register and obtain an absentee ballot in person at the Clerk's Office prior to 8:00 p.m. Election Day.
- If you are registered to vote in the City of Rochester, you may mail your absentee ballot application to 400 6th Street, Rochester, MI 48307 to the attention of "Elections", drop off the application in person, or place it in the City drop box located on the west side of the building. We can also accept applications by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, so long as your information and signature are clearly visible in the attachment.
Permanent Absent Voter List
- The City maintains a list of voters who wish to automatically be mailed an absentee voter application for each election.
- An absentee voter application must be returned to the City Clerk to confirm that you wish to receive an absentee ballot, whether or not you are on the permanent absent voter list.
- If you are interested in being added to the mailing list for absentee voter applications, please submit a signed, written request to email@example.com or to the City Clerk, 400 6th Street, Rochester, MI 48307.