Mount Avon Cemetery
Hours and Location of the Cemetery
Mount Avon Cemetery is open to visitors during the following hours:
- Spring/Summer (April 2 - October 30): 8:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
- Fall/Winter (October 31 - April 1): 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Mount Avon Cemetery is located in Rochester. It is bounded north and south by First Street and Third Street, and east and west by Taylor Street and Wilcox Street.
Cemetery Clean Up Dates
Spring clean up begins on April 1st of each year, and Fall clean up begins on November 1st of each year.
All personal items must be removed by these dates, including: pots, shepherd hooks, personal items, etc. City staff will remove everything from spaces beginning on these dates. The City will not be responsible for lost items.
Placement of Flowers and Other Personal Items at Cemetery
Based on Chapter 14, Sec 14-9(b) of the City Code, please refer to the following guidelines:
- In the 5th Addition, the placement of urns, vases, planters, and other various receptacles or objects that may interfere with the mowing of grass are prohibited.
- In Additions 1-4, and 6, where monuments are permitted, such receptacles as described above are permitted, so long as they are respectful, safe, and limited to one per grave. Tin cans, glass jars, etc. are not suitable for placement at the cemetery.
- The use of shepherd hooks with hanging baskets is permitted for any grave, but must be removed prior to the cleanup dates each year along with any other personal items.
Lot sales are restricted to residents of Rochester and Rochester Hills for their personal use or for use by members of their immediate families. Please note that the City no longer sells spaces in the monument sections Additions 1-4, and 6. The price for monument spaces is used for the calculation of the current value of such spaces for space transfers and the valuing of assets. Only flush marker spaces are currently available for purchase in the 5th Addition.
If you wish to purchase a space or lot at Mt Avon Cemetery, please contact the Clerk's Office at 248-651-9061, or if you wish to communicate via email, please contact Deputy City Clerk Brian D'Annunzio at firstname.lastname@example.org Appointments to make a purchase at the cemetery are generally available Monday-Friday between 8:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Requests to purchase spaces, to schedule a burial, and questions regarding the installation of markers should be directed to the City Clerk. To facilitate these requests you may use the following forms:
- Cemetery Space Transfer Form
- Cemetery Marker Installation Form
- Cemetery Marker and Monument Size Requirements
Contact the Clerk's Office at (248) 733-3700 for more information on burials and services.